Saturday, September 8, 2012

Bossypants (Tina Fey)

This summer, I went on a Tina Fey binge, which means that I watched a few seasons of 30 RockBaby Mama and Date Night. The Fey marathon culminated in my reading of Bossypants, which I have been wanting to read for a long time and finally have. I heard nothing but good stuff about this book, and I was really looking forward to it.

I am always nervous about humorous books because it's very hard to keep up the humor consistently. I once read a humor memoir called Publish This Book that, when I started it, was hilarious. I was laughing at least twice a page, and they were genuine, full laughs. But after the first sixty pages or so, the humor wasn't consistent and I ended up feeling disappointed. There are also my experiences with Dave Eggers and David Sedaris, both of which were major disappointments. I figured, nonetheless, that if anyone could pull off a consistently funny book, it would be Tina Fey.

And for the most part, I was right. The laughs were consistent and chapters that weren't particularly funny were incredibly interesting (i.e., the chapter on 30 Rock and the chapter on being Sarah Palin). The anecdotes from Tina Fey's life are hilarious and she writes engagingly on all sorts of topics, including a honeymoon disaster, working at a YMCA and why she loves Amy Poehler so much.

But it's not constantly funny, and since it's supposed to be a humor book, it was a disappointment that it wasn't full of laugh-inducing moments. Nonetheless, Bossypants is a great read (and I hear it's even better in audiobook form because Ms. Fey herself reads the book) that I have no qualms recommending.

My rating: 4/5
Bossypants on Goodreads
See what I've been reading lately!

1 comment:

  1. I've really wanted to read this one for a while, and hopefully I get the chance too! I think Tina Fey is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete